We got here sweaty, hungry, and no room to check into (since it's high season, and most nights hotels are fully booked, they couldn't give us a room at noon). But, the service at Cassa hotel was very nice. They offered to take our luggage and take them to our room when there's a room ready. So, off we went, in search of our first meal here in the big apple.
I of course did research on where to eat. You kidding me? I just wish I have more time! I took P to Ippudo for lunch. It's a Japanese Ramen restaurant. Some people may think why I'm going Japanese in NYC, but let me tell you, NYC is the centre of all cultures; therefore, you can find great food from all over the world here. Ippudo did not disappoint. From the decor to the food, I enjoyed every sight and every bite. We had their steamed pork buns to start. I know, why all of a sudden Chinese? Don't worry, it's not an identity crisis. These buns are better than Chinese ones. The meat is not all lean, the fat gives great flavour, the sauce is sweet and tangy with a kick, and the mayo balances everything out. Finger-licking good.
Now, for the main star at Ippudo -- Ramen. If you think you had the best ramen in Toronto from Kenzo or Kinton, you haven't tried this ramen yet. The two major players in these bowls of ramen -- soup and noodles were just amazing. The soup was very flavourful, but not from the MSG, salt, or unnecessary seasoning; it was the taste of the essence from pork bones that leached into the soup through hours and hours of stewing. When I say you can taste it all, I mean you can taste the flavour of the bone marrow because it was not masked by the salt. As for the noodles, they were thin yet firm leaving you great textural feel. P's ramen (white) was the classic flavour and my ramen (red) had spiciness and cabbage added. I thought those flavours would mask the original freshness, but not only did they added another dimension, but they brought out the flavours of the soup even more. The spiciness was not hot, but just a little bit of peppery kick and the cabbage, sautéed in garlic oil, added a richness that was not there before. Man, I could eat this all the time if they had one in Toronto...
Now, you are probably thinking we do nothing else but eating. Of course not! I had it all figured out. We got tickets to Chicago from Travelzoo deals and we enjoyed the show from second row orchestral seats. I have never been this close to the casting members before. It was an awesome show of dance, singing, and music depicting a story of women and their struggles to become something more than just married housewives during those times. It was comical yet deep.
The show ended around 10:30. Most people may think 10:30 is too late to find a decent meal and the best bet is probably a pub. Well, let me tell you, in NYC, there are still great places to go after a show. For a late night dinner/snack, we went to Hagi Sake Bar. They are tapas style Japanese bar. The place was below street level, but don't be fooled by the small and dingy entrance. Their food will blow your mind. The seating area was small, but people were gathered at the bar and tables enjoy a pint of sake for $4 or a pitcher for $6. The variety of small bites in the menu gave us a hard time choosing them. Finally we decided on 6 dishes -- all amazing. These dishes were unique, tasty, large portions, and affordable. The fried oysters are a must try. I thought by frying, they would be over-cooked, but they were crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. One bite of them with their special mayo and cabbage will leave you drooling for more. The soft-shell crab was crispy and meaty. With the sweet yuzu sauce, it brought out the sweetness of the crab even more. The chicken gizzards were bites of firm meaty popcorns. The slightly seared tuna sashimi served with crispy garlic chips, wilted onions, fresh green onions, and sweet soy sauce was party in my mouth. The combination of textures from the toppings, tangy-saltiness from the sauce, and the creaminess of the fish just composed a perfect little bite. The Tako-yaki had large chunks of tako inside the soft dough pillows topped with bonito flakes. These bites just melts in your mouth. Last but not least, the burdock root chips were heavenly. They are crispy taro tasting chips that came with a special mayo sauce filled with fish roe. I have never seen such fancy mayo. Enough with the description, I will let the pictures speak for themselves.
Though NYC is busy and crowded, it has definitely stimulated me; leaving me wanting more. So, tomorrow is another day~
沒有留言:
張貼留言