2012年7月1日 星期日

NYC -- Yankee game!

Second day in NYC was a relaxing one. We (he) didn't wake up until 9am. This was expected because I totally planned for an awesome brunch! We went to Pastis in the meat-packing district. For those of you who have been to NYC know that the meat-packing district is filled with great restaurants, fun shops, and even a rail road garden. It's the best location to hang out on a Sunday.

Pastis has a very traditional decoration (even somewhat diner style but with French influence). People there are very friendly because it's a great place for the locals as well. We started with their country bread and a french onion soup.  This french onion soup was filled with onions, and bread soaked in caramelized onion broth with a hint of beef flavour, and topped with a thick layer of cheese. I know you might think french onion soup os such a common dish to eat, but let me tell you, this one was the best one I have tasted in North America. It was not over powered with salt (they usually are very salty) and the cheese was bubbly yet not strong to over power the onion fragrance. For our main course we had Eggs a la Basquaise and Omelette aux Fine Herbes with French Fries. The Basquaise dish had two poached eggs sitting on top of the best creamy prosciutto grits I have ever tasted and drizzled with sautéed red and yellow pepper strips. The omelette was very light and fluffy with the delicate herb tastes from the fresh herb de provence. This meal was both satisfying and flavourful.



 After brunch we started walking around the neighbourhood and strolled along the rail road garden. The rail road garden is a clever way of disguising the ugly old rail road tracks and a nice way to add green space to the area.

Today was the day I am taking P to a Yankee's game at the Yankee stadium for my wedding anniversary gift to him. We took the subway from the meat-packing district all the way to the Bronx. I have never "sped" in a subway like this. NYC has many express subway trains that will send you to places like as if you were taking the high speed rail. Toronto would never have such speed! We got to the Yankee stadium in no time and I bought him a Yankee's hat for the game!





Yankee's won 4 to 2!!!! It was an awesome game to watch.

In the evening we stroll along time square and had dinner at the Shake Shack. Now most of you may think it's a fast food place and they do serve burgers, hot dogs, and fries like McDonald, but these are 100X better! We had their Shack Burger and Shack-cago Dog. The burger was, according to P, "the best I've had, more than most high end restaurant burgers, and it kicked me right out of the sleepy mode". The hot dog had peppers, onions, tomato, and relish on it, but the most interesting ingredient on there was the celery salt. This added a whole new dimension to the taste of that dog. I would have this over McDonald any day!


I wanted to show P the skyline of NYC at night, so we headed up the Rockefeller tower. The view was stunning yet peaceful (and of course the empire state building looked magnificent). What a way to end the day!


沒有留言:

張貼留言